- Frida Kahlo
- The two Latin American women that Madonna has most famously admired and appreciated are Eva Peron (whom she played in the movie Evita) and Frida Kahlo (whose art she has avidly collected). Some would say that they are among the most influential figures in Latin American history. Yet are the contrasts between the two greater than the similarities?
- Listed below are a few articles and several web sites on Frida Kahlo (and one on Diego Rivera). "The Life and Times of Frida Kahlo" is actually the PBS website on the video that we will watch. Discussion:
- Unlike Evita Peron (First Lady, Eva Peron Foundation, National Icon. etc.), Frida Kahlo was never at the center of Mexican politics. Was she apolitical (art for the sake of art)? Did her art express a political statement for her? Did she play a role in Mexican politics? If so, what was her ideology? What were her affiliations?
- How does the relationship between Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera compare to that of Evita Peron and Juan Peron?
- What events in Mexico were occurring during the life of Frida Kahlo that may have influenced and/or that she might have influenced? What has been her legacy even after her death?
- Diego Rivera